Soooooo, what is the secret to owning and collecting Transformers?
Well here are a few secrets I have learned over the last few years…
1) Supply & Demand… Plain and simple Transformers are in fairly high demand especially certain lines. Keep an eye on a few simple things. Is it a “Generation line” or a “Movie/TV Line.” Typically the re-issues are in higher demand then the later. These you need to keep watch for as often times you can’t wait for the clearance sales, or coupons!
2) WAIT! While #1 stands true… If you HAVE to have it right then you will pay a premium price. Sign-up for newsletters, coupons, and so forth! Hasbro Toy Shop more often sends out Free Shipping + 10%-20% off coupons! Amazon has dropped prices on some Transformers over 70%! Example the Leader Class AOE’s were going for $45 a pop! This Christmas season they dropped as low as $20… AOE Slog is a $25 Voyager and is currently being sold on Amazon for $12.53!!! A thrilling 30 re-issue was going for $30 and is now $12!
Another example last year Metroplex was released at a whopping $100. I bought mine for $45…
3) Be careful! So #2 is true! However understand the toys a bit… Stomp and Chomp Grimlock this years “Metroplex” has yet to go below $69.99. You can wait and wait, but often times will not find a better deal.
4) Look at getting a Toys R Us credit card… Ehem credit cards are bad kids! But here is a situation they offer as much as 10-20% off… This makes their over priced toys back down to even less than some other stores. (PAY IT OFF EVERY MONTH! Otherwise interest might kill you…)
5) Get Coupons! Seriously just like #2 different times of the year certain stores will give coupons. And most stores will price match!
Finally some stores with limited editions such as Master Pieces… These are a whole other level of collecting..
1) Find out when the stores shipments are.
2) Know when they open.
3) Check on shipment days…
4) Make sure you share! Yes its great to buy out and sell all those extra MP’s on Ebay… But what about the kids and people who really want that toy? You might have prevented someone from getting the toy all together. Even though collecting MP’s might be mostly for Adults, but lets face it these are toys…
5) MP’s you won’t have the luxury of waiting for most “sales” or “coupons.” These are first come first serve. But again keep watch over #4 and don’t be a TF Hog! *Oink *Oink
Lastly always keep true to what you can afford and don’t burn yourself out. Seriously while this can be a very addicting hobby make rules for yourself otherwise you will end up with SO many toys that you do not even want or need.